|JATAM - Mining Advocacy Network|
|Vission, Mission, Program/Agenda That Continuing the Crisis|
Friday, 04 July 2014
Media Briefing of Jaringan Advokasi Tambang (Mining Advocacy Network), 04 July 2014
It should be recognized that Indonesia has fallen into the energy crisis. The condition in line with the critical food situation and environmental damage. All three have relations of interrelated production and consumption chain, which is all currently experiencing degeneration by poor governance. The three are the most striking case, because it involves the lives of many people. All three are in the spotlight for being ironic and heartbreaking for Indonesia which known as agricultural and rich energy resources.
All potential sources of energy become commercialized, there is no difference of foreign and domestic investors. Both allowed to dredge and sell abroad, in order to pursue prestige as the largest producer and seller in the world. Otherwise, not afraid to be embarrassed to import to cover many shortcomings for domestic needs. Indonesian exports madness led to the lack of availability of primary and secondary energy sources.
People difficulty in accessing energy, is directly related to the ability of the people's productivity. At the same time, many people lost their productive land because it deprived and destroyed by the mining and oil-gas industries. Environmental damage, health problem, corruption and violence is a vicious cycle that threatens the safety of the people.
Indeed, the government of SBY, has no vision in energy management for energy security fulfillment. Wrong paradigm in energy management and view energy as a trade commodity, only pass on energy bankruptcy, which is accompanied by severe environmental damage. And should, in the momentum of the Presidential election (Pilpres) 2014, those things cannot be continued.
Reflecting from the vision, mission and program/agenda of both pairs of candidates. It Can be seen real in the work program two pairs Presidential Candidates (Capres) and Vice President Candidate (Cawapres), how the mining and oil-gas industries are still being the object to bring in foreign exchange for the country. This shade of natural resource management which exploitative and not sustainable that coloring the work program of the two government leader candidates ahead.
Mining and oil-gas not just talk about State’s profit loss or local vs. foreign businessmen. Factors of safety and the citizens life-space should be a major concern of both pairs of candidates. The greediness of the extractive industry by far, leaving only the inestimable cost of environmental and social damage. Policies that exploitative and only pursuit of profit, will only further put people in a vulnerable position and left out of their life-space.
The important note from the Vision, Mission and Program/Agenda of both pairs of candidates are as follows;
1. Downstream policy by developing smelter is equally carried by two pairs of candidates. While on the one side, it will increase the added value of mining commodities, the downstream policy proved unable to suppress the exploitation that occurs in a various areas and does not guarantee the restoration of people’s life-space and safety.
2. Oil and gas sector which has managed messy and often claimed to be "leaked" become the main agenda for the two pairs of candidates, especially improvements in the upstream sector. Ideologically both candidates stressed the need to re-refer to Article 33 UUD 1945 as well as a revision of the Oil and Gas Law in the national oil and gas management.
The word "controlled by the State" contained in article 33 should have been no longer debated. The State has complete control over the management of natural resources. Even if it involves the private sector, should only be limited to the contract for their skill and technology, not to divide the natural wealth. A firm message in the constitution should be the basis for both pairs of candidates for improvement of oil-gas governance starting from upstream. In fact, in the work program, they are still open wide opportunities for the private sector, whether national or foreign, to control oil and gas in Indonesia.
3. Indecision in the renegotiation has been done by the government is also reflected in the work program of the two pairs of candidates. Commitment to continue the renegotiation clearly contrast with the early commitment to restore the natural resource management based on Article 33 of the 1945 Constitution.
4. National and foreign private domination, is one of the factors of wealth flees overseas. The state company continues to be dwarfed by the poor management and "leakage", so that investment is driven continuously for private. Which led to the state company/BUMN's inability in providing the energy source that is easily accessible and cheap for the people.
5. Both couples encourage increased availability of energy infrastructure. Meanwhile, the Indonesian government has tied up with the Trans ASEAN Gas Pipeline project (TAGP) and the ASEAN Power Grid (APG). Both projects are actually subsidizing ASEAN countries and North ASIA countries. Infrastructure is quite possible also to ensure the project TAGP and AGP as expected.
6. Although not as clearly as Prabowo - Hatta in a commitment to continue MP3EI program, Jokowi - JK in their work program is still in line with the MP3EI. Programs of infrastructure replenishment and improvement and the addition of the industrial park is one of the main agenda of the MP3EI to facilitate the acceleration and expansion of natural resource extraction. And then if this program will increase community’s competitiveness or even in line with MP3EI which become a lubricant for the extractive industries.
7. In line with the National Energy Policy (KEN) which has been established by the government of SBY earlier, both pairs of candidates are also promising electricity ratio to 100%, even Prabowo - Hatta promises fulfilled it in 2019, which even in the KEN about 95% plan to be fulfilled in 2025. Problem is , two pairs of candidates are still pushing the electrification by fossil energy, exactly as stated in KEN. Even Jokowi - JK clearly states "The preference for the use of coal and gas to increase the production of electricity in the State in order to serve the needs of industry and households".
8. The commitment of both pairs of candidates to build food sovereignty even in contrast with the work program of other sectors they make. The use of renewable energy by relying on biofuel, for example. Indonesia, which is still far from the word "food sovereignty" still have to use food for energy needs; Farmers as major food producers still have to fight land with biofuel industry. As if the promise of food millions of hectares of land allocated either by Prabowo and Jokowi do not mean anything if facing on Energy and Mineral Resources Decree on the Establishment of mining area, where more than 60% of Indonesia's land area has been prepared to be mined.
9. Even the commitment to stop conversion from food productive land into mining area by Jokowi - JK still need to be questioned. Commitment to reproduce artisanal mining, increasing the number of mining and oil-gas national businessmen as well as increasing the state revenues from this sector, means also more massively pushing the expansion of mining and oil and gas fields. Various of mining and oil and gas operation that has been operating has proved to displacing the food productive land, such as in the Makroman village and Kertabuana village in East Kalimantan or in area of Lapindo mudflow which has continued until now.
10. How the steps of the two pairs of candidates, in action against environmental destroyer? It is doubtful because the parties relating to the environmental destruction are circulating in both candidates, either as a Success Team or supporter.
11. Take an active role in addressing global climate change is the commitment of the two pairs of candidates. In fact, the work program they will run is still forward the fossil energy and mining industry, which had been dismantled the carbon emission absorption area. Even jargon "Encouraging environmentally friendly mining" and "a prudent exploitation of natural resources", will only be sweetener jargon of the exploitative work program. In fact the mining and oil and gas industry has been and certainly damaging the environment.
12. The government has blamed the community mining, not just a matter of environmental damage but also a matter of income. Ironically, candidate number two actually encourages it, also control by the national employers who encouraged both partners. In fact precisely, local businessmen are much more acted arbitrarily.
There are no significant changes of the vision, mission and program/agenda of both spouses. With language that is made in such a way, it was made just to look different from the conditions of energy and environmental governance. And certainly on Debate in July 5, 2014, they will speak positively normative by ignoring the facts.
Jakarta, 4 July 2014.
|< Prev||Next >|