Monday, June 16, 2014, 500 villagers from the location of the mining and tread plant plan occupied the site plan because there is no good faith of the Semen Indonesia in their whole plan of the mining process and the establishment of the plant in Rembang.
This action becomes the last option due to the residents were never given the opportunity to speak up about the various violations that have been made during the construction project preparation of PT Semen Indonesia at Rembang. Residents never knowing clearly the information about the plan to build a cement factory. There was never any socialization that involving villagers in general, only the village apparatus and never delivered to the residents. EIA document was never delivered to the residents. There was never any explanation of the negative impacts caused by mining and the establishment of a cement factory.
Intimidation often occurs with the people’s movement who want to fight for their rights to obtain clear information and obtain a healthy living environment.
It has been discovered an alleged law violation, include:
- The use of the Watuputih Groundwater Basin area as a limestone mining area for cement plant raw materials violate the Regional Regulation (Perda) of the Spatial Plan (RTRW) of Central Java Province No. 6 of 2010 article 63 which establishes this area as a protected water recharge area and Spatial Planning Regulation of Rembang No. 14 year 2011, article 19, which establishes this area as a geological protected area.
- Forest logging is not in accordance with the Approval of forest conversion principal by the Minister of Forestry, Decree No. S. 279/Menhut-II/2013 dated 22 April 2013, the decree stating that the area is allowed to be cut down is forest area of KHP Mantingan which administratively lies in Kajar village and Pasucen village, sub-district of Gunem, Rembang Regency, Central Java province. But the field facts, Semen Indonesia were cutting down Kadiwono forest area in sub-district of Bulu of approximately 21.13 hectares for the tread plant. Keep in mind that in Regional Regulation No. 14 of 2011 of Rembang Regency Spatial Planning, Bulu sub-district is not intended as a major industrial area.
- Recent field evidences such as the discovery of 109 springs, 49 caves, and 4 underground rivers that are still flowing and have a good water discharge, and the fossils are attached to the cave walls, has more strengthen the belief that Watuputih karstic area is must be protected. Cement production process is potentially damaging the water resources which have an essential role in the life of local residents as well as citizens of Rembang and Lasem who use the services of the Regional Water Company (PDAM) that take water from the Watuputih mountain.
- The Needs of vast land area for cement companies would lead to the loss of agricultural land, so farmers and farm workers will lose jobs. In addition, it will also reduce the productivity of the agricultural sector in the surrounding areas, caused by adverse effects that would arise, for example, the collapse of spring water, dust pollution, and disruption of the ecosystem natural balance. In the end, all of this will undermine national and regional food security.
- Act No. 32 year 2009 of the Protection and Management of the Environment has set about the role of the community, Article 70: (1) People have the rights and the widest opportunity to play an active role in protection and management of the environment. (2) The role of the community can be: a) Social Supervision; b) The provision of advices, opinions, suggestions, objections, complaints and c) Delivering information and or reports. (3) The role of the community madeto : a) Increasing awareness in protection and management of the environment; b) Increasing self-reliance, empowerment and partnerships; c) Developing community capacity and initiative; d) Developing community responsiveness to social control; and e) Developing and maintaining the culture and local wisdom in order to environmental function conservation. But the lack of a transparency and injustice that occur in the field today has resulted in the spoliation of people’s rights of information related to the construction of a cement plant plan. This secrecy and unfairness arise in the process of drafting AMDAL (The document of Environmental Impact Assessment), public lies by generalizing that the entire community agrees with the construction of a cement factory, and the lack of participation of people who reject the development plan.
- In the Act No. 32 year 2009 of the Environmental Protection and Management, Article 66 : Every person who fights for the rights to a good and healthy environment cannot be prosecuted in criminal and sued in civil litigation.
- Komnas HAM (National Commission on Human Rights) findings about violation of human rights in Gunem Sub-district, Rembang, must be dealt with firmly. Police and military forces should be neutral.
- DEMANDS PT. SEMEN INDONESIA TO ATTRACT ALL OF OPERATE HEAVY EQUIPMENTS.
- DEMANDS PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT OF CENTRAL JAVA AND REGENCY GOVERNMENT OF REMBANG TO STOP ALL ACTIVITIES OF PT. SEMEN INDONESIA IN REMBANG BECAUSE IT HAS VIOLATED THE RULES.
- DEMANDS THE MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT TO EVALUATE THE AMDAL/ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT.
- DEMANDS THE MINISTRY OF FORESTRY TO EVALUATE THE CONSENT PERMIT OF FOREST AREA
- ASK THE TNI/INDONESIAN ARMED FORCES AND POLRI/INDONESIAN NATIONAL POLICE TO BE NEUTRAL
- SAVE THE MOUNTAINS NATURE OF KENDENG FROM THE DESTRUCTION
THE ALLIANCE OF REMBANG COMMUNITY CARE OF THE KENDENG MOUNTAIN